AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making new home livestock farmer friendly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 4/11/2013 22:26 (#3029368 - in reply to #3024401)
Subject: RE: Making new home livestock farmer friendly

King City, Mo
We just spent a year and half building our house cuz we did a lot of the wrk our self.

36" doors so if you are injured or get wheel chair bound you can get around the house.

Laundry, kitchen, master bed/bath all on main floor.

If you have a basement have one end a walk out so its nicer space and some sun light can get in.

Propane fire place for backup if you have an ice storm and are outta power cuz of ice storm.

Look into ground source heating and cooling rebate from fed gov and ur local power co.

Zoned heating and cooling is awesome if you have a larger house. Keep part of it the right temp that your using and then when kids grow up your not heating the whole house.

Spray foam - it's awesome. We did it our selves by renting equipment and had the guy supervise and saved us a lot of money.

Tiled floors in kitchen and bathrooms and laundry rooms. Electric heat mat under them so its cozy In the winter.

No step from garage to house. Attached garage with 8ft tall 10ft wide doors. Sloped floors and floor drains. 30x38' looks big but small when you wanna put 2 4 door dually diesel pickups in and the car....

Exterior entrance into the garage. Insulate garage ceiling and wall between the house even if its just with bat insulation. Our garage stays atleat 50f.

A shower with a bench is nice and have a main shower head and a pull off shower head.

Storm cellar in the basement.

A double oven is nice for family dinners and making cookies ect.

Ada toilets that are tall, enlongated, and the big flush valuve to blow ur poo to the next county. Wife's grandma called and asked what toilet ours was cuz she wants one like that when they change her bathroom....

Mohawk corn carpet with the best pad u can get. It's awesome and people love to lay on our carpet.

We have a bathroom right off the garage and its the farm bath and has a toilet sink and shower. I have an exhaust fan, light, and 1500w heater all in one thing in the ceiling. Works great to warm up.

A few pocket doors are nice as they are hidden.

Build the closet shelving in the closet as the prebuolt stuff sucks..

Commercial grade central vacs are awesome.

Bat insulation in bedroom, bathroom, and stairway walls to sound deaden.

Sherwin Williams runs 30% off sales And if your buying a whole house of paint ask about bring setup like a contractor. Don't use cheap paint or ull b painting forever.

A walk in panty

Pour a pad for the propane tank so you don't have to weed eat.

Propane hookup for grill off the big tank so u don't have to mess with little tanks.

Put that fabric stuff down under gravel.

Pipe the guttering into tile and run to the ditch and have a rat trap on the end.

Get a lowes card....5% off everyday plus 30 days credit for free.

Menards card - 2% rebate on all purchases plus 30 days credit. My limit is 11,000 wich I think is the max.

Stock trailer makes a good material getting rig...city boys don't like it if you stop and haul stuff home as the back haul from taking cows to the yards....

Permafelt and ice and water shield are great under layments for the roof..quality of tar paper is crappy so builder had us get that and its is good stuff.

Generator interlock out on the wood billboard thing and our meter there and the hookup where I can run to a shed if I ever get to build one.

Pipe in the wall where you want a tv to the basement ceiling so when the cable they need changes it's easy to change. We left our basement ceiling open and painted it flat black and it has worked out good for us.

Search my user name from when we built for lots of pictures.....email is good if you want any specific pics or ?s.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)