AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variable Rate Nitrogen (sidedress) discussion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

flatlick farmer
Posted 3/30/2013 19:43 (#3002648)
Subject: Variable Rate Nitrogen (sidedress) discussion

West Kentucky
What are your thoughts on variable rate side-dressed N rates. We have been discussing the best method of varying the N to get the most bang for our buck. With the ability to vary most products, variable rate N seems like a natural fit. Here are some of the different thoughts that have been used or discussed:

1) Idea 1
Use yield maps to produce composite maps. Then apply more N in good areas and less N in weaker areas (basically like crop removal rates).

2) Idea 2
Use soil maps combined with composite maps. Put more N in good areas and less in poor areas. (basically same as first, but including soil maps)

3) Idea 3
Once again use composite maps. In good areas where ground is capable of producing more corn with less N per bushel, use say .9-1#/bushel. In weaker areas, use more like 1.2-1.3#/per bushel of yield goal. (many of you can produce more corn on less N per bushel than us because of organic matter, but these numbers are relative)

Last year, we were encouraged to basically use Idea 1. After thinking about this all winter, I am leaning more towards Idea 3. In the end though, this is basically going to be very similar to applying a straight rate. If Idea 3 proves to be the best option, that will probably mean variable rate N on corn will not be much of an advantage.

What are your thoughts and opinions? If you have yield data, that would be great. We have tested N rates for several years now, but I am no closer to an answer than I was when we started.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)