AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nebraska Guys - AgWeb's Newest Drought Map. Ugly.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 3/21/2013 23:42 (#2982163 - in reply to #2982032)
Subject: Re: Nebraska Guys - AgWeb's Newest Drought Map. Ugly.

Southeast Wyoming

BenP - 3/21/2013 11:42
Ed Winkle - 3/21/2013 11:26 Each tillage pass removes one half inch of water. Why would you even till BenP? Ed

I ridge till and had 8 row equipment. The right opportunity came along to go 12 row. On most of my ground, my guess rows are way too far apart to make it work using the same ridges (a lot of my ridges are 10+ years old, dating to when Grandpa still farmed some of this ground), so I need to tear them out to make new ridges. Plus going with autosteer, the old ridges need to go. I'm going to run the rolling stalk chopper once and disk once and make it work. I didn't shred any stalks last fall, so I'm hoping by only making two passes, there will be residue left on top to help keep some moisture and stop soil from blowing. It's not an ideal situation and I'm nervous about it, but the opportunity to upgrade equipment was too good to pass up. I can water most of my corn up with a pivot if I have to. I gotta believe it'll rain sometime this spring.

BenP - 3/21/2013 21:35
zkeele - 3/21/2013 21:21 Is ridge till just another way to say planting on beds? Or is it something different entirely?
Pretty much, but we don't build our beds back up like guys in the south/southeast do. We usually run a stalk shredder in the fall, then a rolling stalk chopper in the spring, then plant on top of the old ridge. We cultivate and then build the ridge back up with a ridger or hiller, then lay out either aluminum or plastic irrigation pipe. It's the same idea, just a little different strategy.

Between the pivots and the pipe, are you able to irrigate all of your corn?

I am always amazed at those in wet climates who try to equate their till/notill operations to those in arid climates, regardless of soil type.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)