AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nebraska Guys - AgWeb's Newest Drought Map. Ugly.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BenP
Posted 3/21/2013 22:42 (#2982050 - in reply to #2981639)
Subject: Re: Nebraska Guys - AgWeb's Newest Drought Map. Ugly.

Central Nebraska
ahay68979 - 3/21/2013 19:44

IDK my tilled stuff outyielded my notill stuff last couple yrs and that was on dryland. But Ive only been going 1pass with a finisher not disking everything black then field finishing, makes a big difference, but yet gets it black enuff and nuff trash taken care of on COC that get the stands and the yields. Im going back to ridgetill this year on some new ground, that is kinda low, so will keep rotts outa the standing water, so better chance of not drowning out, its old beanground and Im still gonna field finish it first to level things up.

I think it'll all work out. I'm mostly worried about stuff blowing (I farm a lot of sand/sandy loam) but I'm trying to leave as much residue as possible. What're you planting for dryland population this year? I'm trying to decide whether I should go back to 20,000, or stay at 22-24,000.

I hear you on the low ground. I still ridge all of my pivots because they are low. Also keep the rows going the direction they were leveled so stuff drains when it gets wet, even though I could have longer rows if I changed direction. I have one farm that was 10' to groundwater last fall, even with the drought. Usually we are too wet in the spring, and was even the case last year, as we had 4" in a week the middle of May. Being dry in the spring is new to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)