AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

20in Strip Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jkreuziger
Posted 3/10/2013 21:09 (#2956442 - in reply to #2955899)
Subject: Re: 20in Strip Till

Juneau, WI
For a few years we took the two coulter setup that brillion used on their strip till units and mounted them on an old toolbar and made our own fertilizer drop tubes.
http://www.machinerie.com/federeepamphlet/brillion/stripTillST30.pd...
These coulters are very tough compared to the old rawson coulters. I would normally run about 8 mph at 5 inches deep, but occasionally have run them at 12 mph and didn't see any issues at those speeds. The stagger of these coulters helped break up the soil between the coulters better than randomly spacing coulters and having a clear open center keeps dirt from flying away from the row at any speed. You don't need any shields to keep the dirt where it belongs. We only applied AMS, DAP and potash with this setup and put 23 gallons of 28% on with the planter 4 inches away from the row. I would have been pretty happy staying with this setup if we had put a good floating row cleaner out front. The double coulter assembly cost us $825 per row about 5 years ago. My cousin bought these from us and has pretty much done exactly what you are talking about. He has a third coulter mounted out front with a floating row cleaner he fabricated and seems to be pretty happy with this setup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)