AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

this is wild
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

okpanhandle
Posted 2/19/2013 21:34 (#2911609 - in reply to #2910390)
Subject: Re: this is wild

Guymon, OK

""You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Well, that's kind of right. In my head my accent seems very neutral, but if I hear a recording of myself that Western twang is more noticeable. I definitely sound like I'm from somewhere west of I-35. I for sure wouldn't be mistaken as a Pennsylvanian, and I'm not sure I'd sound good on the radio, either. It says 84% Western (which makes perfect sense), but it also says 69% Boston. That's a head scratcher (scratchah?). I do say "oil" instead of "o'l", and "windmill" doesn't come out like "windmeal." In general, a Panhandle accent is more like a West Texas accent than one from Western Oklahoma, but it's moderated a bit by hints of Kansas and Colorado.

I like studying accents. This little quiz needs more questions.

edit: This 'kipedia article is pretty interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_english

Edited by okpanhandle 2/19/2013 21:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)