AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zeolite feed additive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 2/6/2013 21:19 (#2880336 - in reply to #2876777)
Subject: Re: Zeolite feed additive

Faunsdale, AL
The toxins are such different compounds, you would need specific tests to see if each compound bound each toxin and how much. In general I think they would work, but maybe not. I would consult your extension veterinarian to see if there is any information about this use.

You will most likely get a blanket recommendation from anyone to avoid feeding toxins and I agree, that is the best way. Only it's sometimes very hard to do! Lots of endophyte infected tall fescue out there! Same situation with aflatoxin. Lots of low level contaminated corn out there with hot spots possibly scattered through the bin. You have seen all the discussion about marketing aflatoxin contaminated corn on this board, I'm sure.

Not a comforting situation for dairy where we have FDA regulation which enforces testing (on every tanker at some plants) and mandates a procedure of retesting and disposal of any milk over 0.5 ppb of aflatoxin M1. Add to that the fact that industrial processing of the corn can concentrate the toxin into the byproduct grain and things look even more scary.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)