AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why cant the Corn Growers and Soybean Growers use some of our Checkoff money for a Superbowl ad?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bigmiker
Posted 2/5/2013 08:34 (#2876130 - in reply to #2874987)
Subject: Re: Why cant the Corn Growers and Soybean Growers use some of our Checkoff money for a Superbowl ad?

SW Ontario
KinzeMech - 2/4/2013 19:31

I'm not saying it's not a problem, but you're dealing with irrational people here. They believe what they do in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. You can try to educate them if you wish, but it is not practical to educate people who are that disinterested in reason.

The tremendous resources consumed by a single super bowl ad spot would be better spent educating the legislators, and making sure they're making decisions based on facts, while keeping a reserve available for an ad campaign in case the issue ever ends up on the ballot.

The problem is, is that we are NOT dealing with irrational people. We are dealing with the public!

There is so much negative and outright false claims and stories of GMO's in social media today. So what happens when a normal person goes online to look for information about GMO's? I bet over 90% of the material they come across will be negative towards GMO's. This then leads to people believing in these false accusations. And then the amount of people who are against GMO's gets larger every single day that we don't provide an accurate representation of what's really going on.

THAT is what will hurt us. The public will be convinced by activists and pseudo science, and subsequently put pressure on lawmakers to "do something about this". This almost happened in California, and I have heard that they are pushing to try and get it through now in Washington state as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)