AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do with dairy heifers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshuaGA
Posted 1/19/2013 20:16 (#2834678)
Subject: What to do with dairy heifers

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Bought some crossbreds nearly 2 years ago as bottle calves. Fastforward, have 28 heifers sitting here now, been bred, 3-4 have McDonalds in their future as they have just never really looked good, not confirmed but they dont appear bred. Got to run them all through the chute, but I need to go ahead and make a decision. Origional plan 2 years ago was to start milking them myself, life intervened in that, I figure minimum another year and a half or so, got to pull a few more things together on my end, and a few odds and ends to sort out. Always setbacks it seems like, I still have time on my side. Not any dairys nearby that I can put them in and retain ownership, none I trust anyway, dont particulary want to be in the leasing business anyway. Local stockyard beef oriented, no dairy buyers there that I am aware of. Nearest dairy oriented stockyard is about 150 miles away, next nearest is in TN. Do you bite the bullet and ship to a dairy stockyard, ship local or do I just need to price them and market them myself. Just really do not have the answer to this, and have to do something in the next 2 months or I am going to start having to worry about calves on the ground as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)