AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pig/Piglet "Bouncing"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Pioneer
Posted 1/11/2013 17:31 (#2815553)
Subject: Pig/Piglet "Bouncing"

Warburg, AB
Hey all,
wife had an interview at a hog barn today, 2800 breeding sows, and as part of the interview, was a day on the job - to make sure potential employees can handle the environment and conditions. One of the aspects of the job was pig "bouncing" - grab a piglet (that won't survive/isn't ideal for cyclic all-in-all-out) by the back legs, swing your arm back and around, to bring it down over hand and smack it's skull on a solid object, to kill it.

Is this normal for a hog operation? I'm a beef guy, but have worked poultry and dairy - and I'm well aware of what is and isn't welfare. I've had to dispose of chickens, and shoot cows and calves that weren't going to survive. But this? This irks me. I understand economics, flat out. But really? There's no options to captive bolt, pull out a .22LR, electrocute, gas, etc? Blunt force trauma is the only option?

Maybe I'm getting soft, but as both a consumer and a farmer, I do find this unsettling. I'll be damned if someone is gonna club me over the head if I need put down.

Any thoughts?

Bruce
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)