AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you identify roads by name or number?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 1/9/2013 17:42 (#2811004 - in reply to #2810438)
Subject: RE: Do you identify roads by name or number?

Southeast Wyoming

Our county went to a numbering system on section line roads a few years ago.  It took some getting used to but I like it now.  There are exceptions, many exceptions, but the numbering starts on the west end of the county with the road being a mile east of the county line being CR 101 and that progresses every mile across the county to the east county line, 102, 103, 104, etc.  They start at the south county line and number to the north with 201, 202, 203, 204 and etc.  It works well in our rectangular shaped county with few waterways or other restrictions but probably not be acceptible many, if not most, places.

Closer to town they use names also, like Christensen Rd, because Christensen's owned property there; and the next to the east is Reese Rd, though Christensen's also lived along that road.  Then there are division roads such as Alan Rd going to the subdivision where Alan Christensen lived.

Before that system, and still common on many maps, we in our area also used names but the roads were seldom "signed".  I live on Deselms Rd, the homestead is on Lyon Rd and etc

What I like about our numbering system in our particular situation is that if you have an address using the numbers it is simple to find the location.   4950 CR 220 would be (should be) on CR 220, one half mile east of CR 149, on the north side of the road.   4951 CR220 would be on the south side of CR 220.

1850 CR 149 would be on CR 149 (now State Highway 213) one half mile north of CR 218 on the west side of the road.  (Edited to add: the "house" number does not use the 1 or the 2 as in half mile north of CR 218.  CR 149 indicates it is a north/south road 49 miles east of the county line and 1850 indicates it is  aproximately 18.5 north of the county line.  And in the example above, CR 220 indicates it is an east/west road 20 miles north of the county line; 4950 indicates it is approximately 49.5 miles east of the county line.  Even if there is no road on the section lines, the section line sets the numbering system.  Then when roads curve and join it is sometimes a mess with identification.  lol )

I believe it was designed to help 911 but sometimes I think it overwhelms dispatchers and urban raised emergency workers.  They have to have a picture drawn or see it on a map.  North, south, east or west mean nothing to them.  Just tell them to head towards Nebraska or Cheyenne, and Denver or Torrington.    : (      Don't go towards the smoke because you may have to turn around if you don't get directions to the right through roads.

Oh it is easy to criticize when my family has been here since 1909 and I'm sort of familiar with the historic roads in this end of the county.  They do a darn good job most of the time.

Edited by Gary Lyon 1/9/2013 17:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)