AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bible question, cremation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ezzard
Posted 1/9/2013 18:13 (#2811064 - in reply to #2810652)
Subject: Re: Bible question, cremation

SE IA
OlsonKrist - 1/9/2013 12:48

I am not Jewish but part of my wife's family is. I have learned a lot about the old testament and jewish law since we became family. If cremation is forbidden it comes from the old testament, and was definitely not part of Christ's teachings. Like lots of things, saying the bible forbids cremation is an interpretation of the writings, not necessarily any kind of direct word from god. Jewish law does forbid cremation, as well as the greek orthodox church, but these rules do not come from scripture, they come from a collection of decisions made by clergy over the years.

When I go, I want to be either cremated, or possibly use some of the jewish traditions (except for the clothes tearing) and have a simple natural burial.

Jewish Death Rituals According to Jewish Law
•The body of the deceased is washed thoroughly.
•The deceased is buried in a simple pine coffin.
•The deceased is buried wearing a simple white shroud (tachrichim).
•The body is guarded or watched from the moment of death until after burial.
•Just before a funeral begins, the immediate relatives of the deceased tear their garments or the rabbi does this to them or hands them torn black ribbons to pin on their clothes to symbolize their loss.
•Upon hearing about a death, a Jew recites the words, "Baruch dayan emet," Blessed be the one true Judge.

That sounds pretty cool.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)