AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will this BW for Angus bull work on heifers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 1/9/2013 08:22 (#2810072 - in reply to #2809829)
Subject: RE: Will this BW for Angus bull work on heifers?

West Central Iowa
With a .25 accuracy, the association is telling you that they are not 100% sure that the BW EPD of 3.4 for this bull will remain at that value because they do not have enough data on him. On the Angus Association website there is a chart called "Accuracy and Associated Possible Change". If I go down the chart and line up where .25 accuracy crosses the BW column it gives me a number of 1.97. This means that if the bull you purchased actually sires enough calves to get a 99% accuracy (4,000-5,000 calves), his BW EPD may go as high as 5.37 (3.4 + 1.97) or as low as low as 1.43 (3.4 - 1.97). These are statistical calculations they have acquired from thousands of data entries, and likely your bull will end up somewhere between the possible high and low values. Someone here also asked what his CED (calving ease direct) EPD was. That is a valid question and in most cases would help me in my decision making to use the bull on heifers or not. Higher CED values are more favorable and a value of 8 or higher would put him in the top 25% of the breed.

As a breeder myself I agree with many that a BW EPD of around 1.5 - 2 on heifers would be a max. regardless of how favorable his CED EPD is. Even if your bulls BW EPD moves down the maximum according to the "Accuracy and Associated Possible Change" chart you are still near the upper end of peoples preference levels. If your bull's EPD moves up the maximum.......well.........you better have the number for the vet and the rendering works on speed dial.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)