AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

In-barn working facility plan is coming along...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GangGreen
Posted 1/6/2013 16:58 (#2803446)
Subject: In-barn working facility plan is coming along...

Eastern Iowa
...thanks to ideas posted here by NDCattleman. (Original link) I modified them a little bit and then decided to go out to the barn and get some accurate measurements so I could start to think about buying iron. When I got there, I realized that the post and beams weren't where I remembered them. So I had to start over. NDC's plan actually works better than it did before! I uploaded a PDF--sorry sil farmer, no crayon this time.

I've already took out the partition fence on the back end on Saturday. The concrete stem wall will have to come out and the maternity pen will need to have the wall moved, but neither of these will be difficult modifications. It looks like I will also need to lengthen one wall, shorten a gate and hinge it from the other end, and open up the west wall of the maternity/open cow sort pen so that animals/people will be able to move to the back end of the barn without going outside. All in all, should be pretty doable.

Have any design tips I need to incorporate into my tub and alley before I build it? What are ideal alley widths? What features of your tub and alley are "must haves" and what things don't you like? I want as much info before I start as possible, so I don't have to engineer on the fly, or worse, after I'm done. Do you think I can use two curved tub sections to make an even sided corner in the alley? Do I take the sheeting all the way to ground level or leave it up 6-8 inches? How important do you think adjustable sides are--I don't have them now, but I bet they keep calves from turning alot?

I really like the GoBobPipe tub and alley. I plan on calling them Monday to see if I will be doing this the easy way, or the hard way.

Edited by GangGreen 1/6/2013 17:19

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WorkingFacilityFinal.pdf (707KB - 634 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)