AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

growing a custom crop for someone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

culter
Posted 1/2/2013 09:08 (#2792793)
Subject: growing a custom crop for someone

s.w. Wi.
I have a question about growing a crop for someone who supplies only the seed. I was asked to grow a custom bred corn (Maize)for someone to be used for making tortillas. The buyer wanted me to plant 3 acres and he wanted only to pay what the local elevator was paying for organic corn(10.00 at that time). I told him the price would be waht the price was at harvest time and he agreed. I thought that would be fine because it was such a small amount and I had a field that was really isolated (so I thought).
So in the end there was a drought, the price of corn went to $17.00 (he only wanted to pay $10.00/bu) and the corn crop did well anyway, except for deere damage. I ended up with a few hundred bushels, delivered it and now he is telling me that he was hoping the drought would have ruined the crop and he only wants 100 bu and can I take the rest.
I can't sell the corn at the elevator because it is colored. I told him the corn is his and he has to pay anyway. He agreed to make payments.

So how are contracts set up for custom crops and what do I charge up front? Who is responsible if there is crop failure(drought).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)