AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Value of GPS to agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

chuckster
Posted 12/1/2007 09:57 (#250233 - in reply to #248923)
Subject: Re: Value of GPS to agriculture

Where Lewis and Clark finished the rum
Nice comments by Macy There are two kinds of GPS users in ag though - Italian race car drivers (what's behind me doesn't matter as long as it is STRAIGHT) and those interested in the benefits to management. I bet the distribution is 80/20 or maybe even 90/10. Would be nice if schools were helping kids (and adult kids) figure out how to use this stuff for management. The guidance/assisted steer numbers are pretty easy alsright, but the management stuff is what has always interested me. With all the new transducers - measuring plant reflectance, yield, protein, oil, OM, soil EC, elevation, weed id, etc on the fly we have lots more information to sort through to help us manage our acres more effectively. Harder to put real numbers on these benefits, but methinks that's where the REAL money is, and that's where the real thought should be focused. An example of the human eye transducer is here - one pager - http://www.srvscience.org/Student/chuckster/WildOats04/04_precag_ex... Could surely use some better economic analysis, but is just an example of how assisted steering frees my eyes to see what is going on as I travel the field. Much more complicated is the stuff we are attempting with N removal calcs using yield and protein monitors, but hope to have some stuff written by end of winter.

Couple other things we are up to are at http://www.srvscience.org/Student/chuckster/index.htm although this is a dated page.

Edited by chuckster 12/1/2007 10:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)