AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigation water source from creek
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 11/29/2012 07:36 (#2722940 - in reply to #2720692)
Subject: RE: Irrigation water source from creek

NNW Nebraska
I have a similar set up, but have a ditch back from the edge of the river. I have to clean the sand out of the ditch, sometimes twice a week if the channel moves to the other side of the river. If the channel is running close to the ditch, don't have to clean it as much. I am pumping about 800 gpm with a centrifugal pump out of the ditch. it has a steel screen about 3 ft long, and when the moss starts growing, I have to clean that twice a day. I also have a turbine pump pumping out of the ditch set up similar to what your picture is in the creek. The turbine pump has a 20 ft section of steel irrigation casing going from the pump to the ditch. On the end of the steel is another section of plastic perforated irrigation well casing with a cap on the end. Most of the time the plastic only needs cleaned 1 or 2 times a summer. It is smooth on the out side so is easy to clean with a brush or even by hand. with 900 gpm going into the 20 foot plastic, the flow is so slow that it does have enough suction to hold trash to it.

The moss and crap the beavers drag in are the worst problem. I get no sand going through my pumps.

What I would try if I was doing it again. put sheet piling along the river bank, but angle it slightly away from the bank down stream so it would keep deep water right there. Then put the perforated well casing right beside that. drive used guard rail on the outside of the casing every 2 feet or so to help from having stuff floating down the river from damaging the casing.

have the casing not preforated on the bottom third so not to pick up sand running along the bottom of the river. If you had a elbow, it would be easy to pick up the end if you wanted to get most of it out of the water. However if you put a plank or something right above the casing so you can walk on it, it would be easy to clean if you needed to, but I am guessing that the flowing water would keep all the trash off, and it would never need cleaned unless moss grew on the screen.

And if you do it, keep us posted on how it works out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)