AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All the talk about cover crops, what about after wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

lawfarms
Posted 11/16/2012 09:28 (#2700225)
Subject: All the talk about cover crops, what about after wheat

King City, Mo
Tryin to look forward into next year and have a field in wheat, that i could turn cows into after i harvest the wheat. After this year's luck with Double crop beans and having to feed the cows straw w/ molasses dribbled on it planting something after the wheat the cows could graze would be a good thing.

With the low quality feed i have the cows are scouring all the fence row edges, under tree's and trying out the road bank for extra grass to graze. I have a feeling even putting on alot of fertilizer the pasture this spring it is still going to have a hard time keeping up next summer. Come aug, new fresh feed would be a great thing to have.

I have tried Sudan Grass after wheat.....i don't have the stuff to put it up wet, and it looks like shattercane and not a big fan of that but wouldn't mind some of it in the mix.

My goals for cover crop:

*Cows will eat it
*Good chance i'll get a stand planting around 4th of july or so planting into standing wheat straw.
*Can be planted with a 750JD drill or JD split row planter w/ radial bean meters (not a vac planter)
*Helps keep TWH from coming up after wheat harvested.
*doesn't break the bank to plant

I liked the radish pics below, I don't have the HP to run an inline ripper like a lot of guys are doing this fall and think the radishes look like a good alternative.

I have thought about sowing some oats after the wheat. Pros/cons of that?

Another field of wheat i am sick of the TWH that has been coming in the beans, I'm going to sow red clover under it and hay it late summer, then in 2014 hay it once, then plant beans after.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)