AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop yield data. OOPS, what happened? Part II.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 11/10/2012 09:02 (#2688913 - in reply to #2688739)
Subject: Re: Cover crop yield data. OOPS, what happened? Part II.

Southeast WI
Thank you Brandon! As I keep thinking, intuitively it's the right thing to do, but there are negatives which are seldom talked about. This trial will cont to beans next year and as I'm thinking this morning I might do some split plot work and introduce some kind of seed treatments to add more value to the work/time these take to put in. With all the hype on cover crops my intention is to just study these in a more controlled manner. I certainly have no agenda and this isnt a one year project. About 70% of my acres are long-term no-till which is best for these fragile soils and this year I have covers on close to 50% of my acreage. W Rye after corn or vine crops and the 3 - way mix after wheat. Results this year were not expected but it is how it played out.

As I have 3 20 acre fields next to each other I already established covers after the wheat on the next field over that will go to corn next year. Since frost seeded red clover in wheat keeps dying out with dry weather in June, I put in 3 lbs radish, 5 lbs crimson clover and around 6-7 lbs of oats I had left from some spring cover planting on August 11 this year. Want to try and grow some N. Observations so far in this dry weather say I should increase clover to 7-9 lbs and oats to around 15 lbs to get a more complete cover.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)