AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need career advice, possible railroad career
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 10/31/2012 23:24 (#2671593 - in reply to #2667939)
Subject: Re: Need career advice, possible railroad career

Aggieland
Thanks for all the replies. Im gonna wait and see if the railroad calls and take it from there.

A little more info on the boss and the business. Its an HVAC business, a very well respected one at that, we are the most expensive in the area and we stay busy, very busy. The whole you get what you pay for slogan is us. The boss and his wife are the sole owners of the company and there are 6 additional employees. He is not a sit in the office manager, no one is, what he does for this company is: estimate all jobs(non service); he goes to every house and crawls through the attics to properly estimate, orders all equipment, builds 80% of our ductwork(all metal), runs all needed supplies to the install crew, deals with local govts, and does all the managerial things as well such as insurance, accounting, inventory etc. Did I mention hes 67 and has been doing this since 1968? He has finally started teaching me how to build duct work and Im doing well with it. What I really need to learn is the estimating of jobs. I can/do estimate service repairs such as evaporator coils and compressors which are fairly large values and he agress with the prices Ive come up with but what I cant estimate yet is a full job with all duct work. He said he wants to be out in 5 years or less but yet will not give me a chance to be a leader. When I approached him about this he agreed that a bank would laugh at me yet he hasnt seemed to take any motivation to decide if he wants me to lead. I wonder though if he isnt waiting on me to get my license to then give me some authority due to the fact that the install crew and service techs could then work under my license. If I do pass this exam and not get any feedback from him I should probably take that as a sign that hes not interested in me taking over and move on.

I could open my own company if I purchased about $4000 more in tools and inventory but I feel like Id be light years behind and need a lot of money upfront for advertising. But as a last resort I will do this. My father owns an HVAC company so Ive been in it my entire life and I am very good at building customer relationships. My main goals in life are to maintain a healthy God centered marriage, raise Godly children, make enough money to live comfortably while the wife raises our children, and to have a hobby farm of 1-300 acres. I need a decent job before I can ever get to the hobby farm though.

I take my contractors exam on the 10th and Im sure the railroad wont call before then so I think my backup plan would be to see what the boss does once Im licensed, if nothing, really try for ag or railroad job, if either of those dont suit me or happen, fall back on my license and open my own company.

Thanks again for reading.
Caleb

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)