AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trple pane windows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 10/29/2012 11:47 (#2666978 - in reply to #2663758)
Subject: According to a fenestration program I used

According to a fenestration program I used more than a decade ago to design a house, double pane windows were a definite benefit and in winter more of a benefit if not coated. More solar heat to the house, though the north facing windows were on the average a net loss. Going to triple pane, especially on the north facing windows converted them to a winter heat gain too from sun reflected off expected snow cover. Because of conservationist rules from southern climes, coated glass is the norm, though while it cuts solar heating in the summer, it hurts in the winter. Usually per BTU, cooling costs more than heating so maybe that's correct, but my ranch house design with significant overhangs the south facing windows don't see direct sun in the summer, only in the winter. East and west facing windows get direct sun every day. Along with glancing morning and evening sun summertime in north facing windows.

Long long ago, Thomas Jefferson worked out that a glass area something like 14% of the floor area was optimum for winter solar assisted heating and while not overheating in the summer. IIRC.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)