AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old seed corn -can this be burned safely in a corn stove ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/27/2012 09:33 (#2663409 - in reply to #2663376)
Subject: RE: Old seed corn -can this be burned safely in a corn stove ?

West Union, Illinois

The opinions I hear are mixed.  A lot of old seed corn was burned in this area as a plant down the road about 40 miles used to sell it for $1 a bag to dispose of it.  Corn stove dealers would buy it by the pallet.  However, other companies refused and send theirs to land fills because of the threat of liability.

There is the concern of people having treated seed with warning labels in their house.  Or even worse from a legal standpoint is having a bag without warning labels on it around.  And what if a kid ate a few spilled kernels?

There is also a question of legality of disposing of what might be interpretted as a hazardous waste this way.  Does a seed company want the EPA coming in and requiring testing and cleanup of every consumer's clinker pile.

Any of these scenarios and the profit made by not paying to disposes of it was more than cancelled.

I've also heard folks talk about how corrosive the seed treatments are applying them and wondered what they did to a stove when burned?

Iowa DNR says

burning treated seed corn can emit low levels of hydrochloric acids and thiophosgene, also known as mustard gas. The highest emissions can occur at start up and shutdown, when combustion temperatures are lower, or if the unit is damped down.

Many corn burner manufacturers warn consumers against using chemically treated seed corn that is pink or red in color and contains Captan and other pesticides that can emit toxins when burned.

You might want to read these articles:

This one says NO! http://forum.iburncorn.com/wiki/index.php/Seed_Corn

Most here say no: http://forum.iburncorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=6401&highlight=seed

My best guess is it's like a lot of other stuff: Is it probably isn't a big deal if you use common sense. But I personally would not reccommend it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)