AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's take a poll...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 10/26/2012 13:41 (#2662136 - in reply to #2662072)
Subject: RE: Let's take a poll...

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
The best thing out west is to keep the brand laws in place. It works, is cheap and is in place till the animal dies. It can be traced back thought paper work as well if needed. I do use RFID tags for calves that I sell on contracts for age and source, no need to use myself. I've had more RFID tags cut out by the news owners when they take ownership of the cattle than those that use them.

We use earmarks, waddles as well w/brands. There is no question when you ride into a herd to cut strays out of who owns a cow or bull. No need to get get a RFID tag reader out and try to restrain cow to read it.

I had to laugh one time a wife of a manager of a ranch that had been sold to a big investor was bragging about she had all their cows on the computer records. The rancher she was telling that to replied, That's nice, I've got all my cattle in my pastures!

Out here Jim the last thing you want to look at is a ear tag. Everybody can run the same colors, patterns, etc. You need to look at ear marks first, then waddles, then for brand if need be. Last thing we check is ear tag for owners name or phone number.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)