AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

when is it time to invest in your own silaging equipment?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 9/22/2012 21:01 (#2604199)
Subject: when is it time to invest in your own silaging equipment?

Manitoba
I don't think I'm there yet, at least not for Corn Silage harvest due to the number of bodies needed to keep everything rolling but I got my bill for Corn Silage and went back and took a look at the total costs for any custom work for haylage this year and it (the total) got me thinking. To keep it simple lets take the labour part out of the equation (although I think that is probably the biggest factor) and just say you have access to the labour to run the operation. and just talk $. How much do you have to be spending per year before it is time to seriously look at investing in SPFH and associated equipment (trucks / wagons) and doing your own. Not saying buy new but new enough to be reliable and get the job done in a timely fashion and not just the chopper but the trucks as well to keep it all going.

I know it's not an easy number to come up with considering upkeep costs of these machines but that's the question that was bouncing around in my head the last few days so thought I'd throw it out there and see what kind of responses I might get.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)