AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any processing Tomato growers on here???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TP from Central PA
Posted 9/7/2012 20:31 (#2580493 - in reply to #2580408)
Subject: Re: Any processing Tomato growers on here???

I did some digging in our Drip field today..............Close to the header line, we had a big root mass, growing out quite a bit, but down as well...........Half way we had a smaller root mass, with more growing straight down................Close to the end of the drip line, nearly all the roots were growing straight down and the root mass was pretty small compared to what they were close to the header line. Keep in mind, in this drip field we used no NH3........All N was applied through the drip. I think the drip that was choosen for us wasn't sized right and we had too much pressure drop from header to end and that was a big issue. But I also don't think the program on what we are pushing through the drip is right either. Seem to have sizing issues........Any thoughts on that.

It doesn't seem variety specific, because we have a few varieties in the same field and they all are alike.

Also, we ran 30% sidedress in the overhead fields up until this year, with close to the same resaults through a blue jet coulter. It just seems like the plants in the overhead fields are lacking N......Like it never is reaching it. A grower to the east spreads his N granular and then cultivates it in with better success, which is why I am questioning this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)