AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

raised garden issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

runningbehind
Posted 8/6/2012 23:13 (#2525816)
Subject: raised garden issues

NC ND
Cut the top off of a chemical shuttle and filled with 24" of dirt. Well maybe not "dirt" but 30+ year old manure pile dirt. Didn't figure it would be more than a passing interest to the other half that wanted it so it was planted with 6 tomato plants, 4 cucumbers, 2 pumpkins and a gourd, a few onions and some carrots.

Apparently the quality of dirt is good enough to overcome anything thrown at it so far. Everything other than the shaded out onions and carrots are doing extraordinary. Cucumbers all over, loads of tomatoes, but now getting leaf curling on the tomatoes. I figured it was lack of water for all that is growing in there. So stuck the garden hose in this morning, more leaf curling after the hot day today. Stuck it in again tonite, after a few minutes I saw water running out the bottom valve.

So is there something else causing the leaf curling? Should I shut the valve and hold the water in? There is no clay content to hold water, but the cucumbers and pumpkin plants/vines don't seem to be having any problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)