AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn pollination in hot dry weather
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tr70
Posted 7/11/2012 09:24 (#2479165 - in reply to #2478757)
Subject: RE: Corn pollination in hot dry weather

Hello again dragon -- you may remember my other name as timmis-- but that was using my old work e-mail. I think youre right - I feel like the later stuff in NW iowa will be a little better provided we catch some rain soon and pollenated ok. I was in some of my 96 day on friday in the heat and there was little to no pollen shed -- by monday things were going quite a bit better and I'm starting to see some brown silks around -- I think the humidity saved the silks till the increased pollen was shed. Itll be interesting to do some "ear shake" tests here in the next week and see how we actually did. Nice to see some dews in the morning the last few days -- at least theres some moisture so we can maybe get some rain. Over to the East we had a little more rain early on and were looking pretty good -- not that we arent dry but things are going ok. In years like this the fuller season seems to do a lot better given the fact it uses a higher amount of gdu's and has longer to make the corn -- provided it has the moisture to make the corn. Was thinking this morning that I should have planted some LG 2545 -- that hybrid has done well anytime we have alot of heat. We're gonna see some strange things this fall -- gonna make a pretty wide statement in that in my experience the longer RM hybrids tend to have better stress tolerance than the 97-102 day - theres some exceptions and the gap has narrowed but thats what I've traditionally seen. FYI - in my fields I'm seeing alot of 16x50 potential x 33,000 stand -- If we can get normal pollenation (say 40 long) thats still excellent (220+ bpa) -- so the potential is there we just have to get rain before the light areas become larger. Do I expect 200? No -- I think theres gonna be alot of 170-180 but my point is we can still really get some nice yield numbers -- especailly on some of those flex ear 108 day corns -- can add alot of kernal depth if we get some moisture and cool down to let it fill. Hope you catch a rain soon - just send some my way too! In a dry year you're in the best area of the cornbelt - saw some statistics from SDSU (1930's-present) - i think- and the county to the East of you was one of the only counties in the cornbelt that had better yields in "well below normal moisture" situations. Your county would be the same if it wasnt for the western fringe that burns up. Old timers say in a dry year you wonder where it came from and a wet year you wonder where it went -- so I'm cautiously optomistic of decent yields - if no rain for another week or two I will change my thinking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)