AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potential for big disaster payment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 7/10/2012 17:04 (#2477826 - in reply to #2477726)
Subject: RE: Potential for big disaster payment

North Central Illinois
I've been thinking that same thing but didn't want to say it because I am not very popular around here. I feel for anyone who has a crop that is burning up. Ours isn't burnt up yet but it is headed in that direction. Whether you like or dislike the crop insurance program it is what it is. I thought we were told four years ago that this crop insurance program was intended to take away the need for disaster bills. I have been buying crop insurance for a long time now because it is a tool that is available to me and I have chosen to use it. Those who have chosen to not take the insurance should have realized that by not taking the insurance they were forfeiting their right to disaster aid. If my house burns down is the insurance company or the government going to step in and rebuild my house if I elected to not insure the house? I doubt it. Yes, I know that the government is paying 55% of the premium and I'm sorry but that played no part in my decision to purchase the insurance. It was a tool made available and I used it. The subsidy is perhaps the only leg the noninsured have to stand on when it comes to wanting a disaster payment. They can claim that the government has been giving me the subsidy so why shouldn't they get a disaster payment. The problem is that instead of doing something to help themselves and buy insurance they let the rest of us pay premiums while they did without thinking they could either afford a crop failure or the government would come through for them in the event of a disaster. It seems that most of the producers on this board that admit to not having insurance have also said they could take the financial hit associated with a crop failure. Even if you could afford a crop failure why would you not spend $20 or $30 an acre to protect $700 to $800 an acre of revenue? If I've got a million dollars in the bank and I know there is even a remote possibility of losing it and that there is an affordable way to prevent it why in the hell would I not take it? I don't really get it. It seems that those who would not take it would be those who have absolutely nothing to lose and figure they can pocket that $20 or $30 an acre if things go well and if they don't they are out of business and will start over again. Just my take on the situation and not looking to rub salt in the wounds of those without insurance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)