AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where the corn is.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 7/7/2012 11:48 (#2471359 - in reply to #2471237)
Subject: RE: Where the corn is.

Renville Minnesota

7 days ago, I would have told you we were on to produce a record crop out my back door.....   Heat was forcasted, but only for a few days.   It lasted a week.   

Missed the 100, but was 95, no wind, no clouds, and air so thick I was looking for a set of gills.  Even looked into A/C for the shop.

My hope for record crop is over, will say its still ok, but rain is needed.  15 miles SW of me had 1.5 inches right before the heat (they musta went to more church than I)    

Hard to be dissapointed when ya see pictures and read here on nat.....    

To give you an idea of what happened here, we had 2 80's of peas where one was planted 10 days before the other.   The first one they took 6 days ago.  5100 pounds and 95 on the tenderometer.   5 days later (after and during the heat) they took the second (later planted peas) and were 3200 pounds and 107 on the tenderometer  (about a $650 dollar per acre difference in the two) .....   For us there was darn good money in peas this year..... Last year we planted 200 pounds per acre of pea's and they harvested 400 pounds. (not good at all)

I understand peas are WAY more volitile than corn, at this point still wouldn't trade our corn crop for the 166, but I am sorry to say we won't much help to the usda to get their projected overall yeild.   A good soaking will still make close to record yeilds.   Don't want to join the 10 day club, but it looks like its here.  

Soy looks good.

Last year during this time we had some weather make some corn fields average 110 bu, hard to take when the neighbors ten miles away were pulling almost twice that......   Most fields did better than that, but averaging those acres killed.

FWIW:  production hail insurance (here) is without a doubt a no brainer.  We collected enough to pay the premium for it almost the rest of my life.  Of course I spent it on other stuff.   Needed some new shoes.

Good luck to everyone.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)