AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

milk prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

TOM/MN
Posted 7/1/2012 14:33 (#2460348 - in reply to #2460317)
Subject: Re: milk prices

scmn
J. Sheehan - 7/1/2012 13:18

Tom,

A lot of dairymen learned how to raise calves and keep them alive.

Complaining about technology will get you nowhere. Embrace it or don't, but don't complain.

After 2009, those still milking cows are pretty good at it and want to be in the industry. It will only get more difficult,

My breakeven is right at 15 per cwt. Small dairy, Didn`t mean to sound so negative about technology, just stating the facts. Milk production is going to go through the roof. High feed prices are actually accelerating production because the big boys need more milk to pay the bills.

Dairy Farmers of America has around 10,000 member farms. 103 of those produce 49% of the milk they pick up daily.

My 34 cows will be gone next spring. Almost 30 years of milking is enough. For me the crop side of my farm has grown 1200 acres in the last few years. Half purchased, half rented. The buying power i have for crop inputs is huge, whether it be seed, fuel, fertilizer. Everything i use in crops. With the small number of cows i milk i have absolutly no buying power on anything. Can`t blame my vendors on that one. I`m just to small to justify it for them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)