AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farm wealth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 6/25/2012 17:10 (#2449240 - in reply to #2448978)
Subject: Re: farm wealth

East central Iowa

I'm 65 and my family history suggests I will live another 30 years.  My assets are property.  If I sell the land and houses I pay capital gains and the bank pays a whopping .007 interest.  I may not be able to afford some of the toys I mentioned but I am able to afford health insurance, food and heat in the winter.

Selling off my assets would reduce my income.  What happens if we see inflation return?  I saw farmers sell land for $2000 an acre and retire only to see inflation make them poor.   If they'd kept their farms and lived a modest life they would have kept pace as rents increased. 

I don't believe I was complaining, at least I didn't mean to.  The question stated was; "I was told that farmers live poor but die wealthy. I wonder about that ? Is that true or your perception of a farmer's life. I know I started out with nothing ,have acquired some land and equipment, but still feel poor. Will I die and leave my wife rich?"

I was just answering.  As to to a newer car, that's a problem.  I have a car that just got almost 30mpg on a 4000 mile trip.  It has air, power steering, power windows, power seats for both, individual air and heat, rear air and heat, leather seats, cruise, CD player, cornering lights and a lot of nice features.

As to setting up limits on my kids, why would I do that?  I'll be gone and it's their life.  They've done well and are good people.  Not only that but I live in a country in which there really is no law.  Anybody that thinks they can control the future with a will probably hasn't had much legal experience. 

I'm sorry if I came across as woe is me. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)