AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to pay help??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Big Stretch
Posted 6/1/2012 14:43 (#2409340 - in reply to #2409166)
Subject: Re: How to pay help??

SE Neb
My son has been around the workings of the farm from very little on up. His mother runs the combine for me when needed and that started when he was about 6 months old. She sat him on the floor in a car seat and he rode for hours. He has been my cart/tractor driver since he was 9 and can operate most of the stuff around here. I have 3 kids Cody 14 Sara 10 and Emily 7 and they all know how stuff works. Now that is not to say that they have free rein of stuff but are called to operate different things here and there. I have always started them out by learning how to start and stop stuff and what is safe and not safe. I have also tried to explain to them why stuff is this or that so they understand WHY?
Growing up I have watched many families hold off and expect kids to just flip the switch and be somebody @16 and when they don't they get frustrated and push them to go to school and do the sports that they never got to do and in the process never tried to explain how things really are to them. I feel bad for kids that parents don't teach a bit at a time. I have always told the kids that I don't expect them to necessarily be farmers but the skills of the farm are key to any job. I have also told the kids from little on up that safety is everything and that if anything would ever happen to them I would sell the farm. I couldn't take it if something ever happened to them on the farm (I am pretty sure that I would do that for sure) and hopefully that puts enough fear in them to keep their head on straight and pay attention. On the other hand I have alwasy explained to them not to be afraid of stuff as fear is what distracts you from what you are doing and gets you hurt. You can't be afraid of something just need to respect how mean it can be.
Yes he is working for a neighbor that is a farmer and has cows. Cody has been removing lot fence and getting other pasture fence fixed. I can easily see him helping with cutting hay, baling hay and hauling bales. It is just part time 20 or so hrs a week and I am ok with him doing pretty much anything as long as he has some supervision to get him started and along the way to make sure he is doing ok.. He does participate in basketball, FFA and 4-H archery and such so he doesn't just work. Hope this helps explain things better..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)