AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RE: 3 yr old dies in skidsteer accident
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 5/16/2012 17:36 (#2385210 - in reply to #2384814)
Subject: Re: RE: 3 yr old dies in skidsteer accident

Same here Paul except it was a SM & 3bottom # 16 IH plow. I was driving the M around the feed lot by myself when I was 5. Tractor did have a hand clutch. I spent countless hours riding on one of the tractors with my uncle, one foot on the drawbar, the other on the rear axle housing, one hand on the lightbar & the other on the back of the seat. Was it smart? Looking back- no. Would I let my kids or grandkids do it - no! ut they are my most cherished memories of my childhood. One thing I never did was ride in the bucket of the loader. One thing though, I was ever allowed to have a friend ride when I was operating a tractor.

I feel terrible for the parents of the 3 yr old that died. As a parent & grandfather I can't imagine what they're going through. I have run a couple skidsteers & they are dangerous pieces of equipment and can't imagine a parent letting a 7 yr old run them. But no doubt if we had one back then I would have . My wife says today's equipment is a lot more dangerous than back when I was a youth in the '50s/ Bigger ? yes, dangerous? I really don't think so. Look at all the safety equipment on today's equipment. Most tractors have cabs. As I was telling her, if I fell off the drawbar I was dead.

The main thing here is that a 3 yr old boy is dead. No matter what we say or whom we condem, he's dead. Instead of blaming the parents we need to give them our prayers & support. Also think of the 7 yr old brother operating the skidsteer. Imagine how he feels. It will be something he & the parents will live with the rest of their lives.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)