AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about the Old West
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

gypwater
Posted 5/2/2012 08:26 (#2364999 - in reply to #2364165)
Subject: Re: Question about the Old West

ALTUS,OKLA73521
My grandmother was born in Dallas in 1892. Her father was a freighter from Lancaster to dallas. It took a day to go from Dallas to Lancaster, then a day to get back.In 1900 they decided to move to Old Greer county IN texas. Incidently now Greer , Harmon and Jackson cty of Okla. It took them all summer to come the 240 miles. they would move from stream to stream. THey had to go with groups , because in crossing the various streams, it was necessary to pull the wagons with all of the oxen , or mules , or horses together to get then over the rivers or streams. They walked the entire distance. When they got to Oklahoma the water was so gyppy , (gypsum ), tasting that they wanted to go back. However they eventually got used to it. They also learned to dig cisterns to harvest the rainwater. She said that the indians were still roaming the area. They would occasionally come to a dugout and demand corn , or milo. If the Farmer was friendly they would take some and go on. If the farmer was not friendly , they would still take what they wanted and his livestock also ,and on occasion still kill them. It was a harrowing experience. But back to my user name. I grew up on gypwater and didn't know there was any difference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)