AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

just a thought a bit out in left field and interesting to hear some thoughts...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 4/24/2012 02:59 (#2351330 - in reply to #2351075)
Subject: Re: just a thought a bit out in left field and interesting to hear some thoughts...

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge
"The only two certainties in life are death and taxes." – Mark Twain [A, C].

So, by that logic, we are guaranteed to die one day, but have no idea if it will be before or after you withdraw the first or last dime from your retirement accounts. One could spend their whole lives saving, but not live long enough to ever enjoy any of it.

Next, by looking at demographics, government debt, entitlements and spending, it seems a safe bet that taxes are going up rather than down. So taking the money out, and paying the taxes now, might be cheapest time to do so. The regulations on taxes could change at any moment, especially when those living off the government outnumber the savers, and need more sources of income to sustain their entitlements.

So, I'd agree that using your savings to build your own business is the best use for it, then retire off of the value of the land. If the land happens to be worthless by then, at least you can grow your own groceries in your semi-retirement. I can't think of what scenario will make land worth less in 30 years than it is now though, maybe the return of the ice age?

What I don't know is when you should do that, with inflation and deflation still battling each other in different markets.

And when listening to the experts advice, keep in mind how the experts make their money......., and consider why they want you to keep the money invested
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)