AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

High water aftermath by our bridge (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 4/22/2012 19:09 (#2349066)
Subject: High water aftermath by our bridge (pics)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

During last summer the increased flows from the dam did a lot of channel scouring and some rearranging of the banks. Took a few pics today.
This one was taken from the north bank. At the highest flow, the water was close to the top of the round pier.
New & old
 If you look closely you can see a pinkish stain where the water was rushing against the piling. I'd guess within a foot.
High water mark
Here's a shot that gives some perspective on how much more clearance for flow was allowed when the original bridge was built. This is looking at the south bank
old
Here is a shot of the 400 foot south span of the old bridge.
south span
I then drove across the bridge and took some pics from the south bank looking north. The white sand was carried in by the high water last summer. If you look closely you can see a few people lounging on the sand. That's where I took the first few pics from.
north bank
 And another angle on the old and new bridges.It is striking to me, just how much more cautious the engineers of the 30s were as compared to today.
  bridges
Finally a info sign concerning the old bridge. The bridge was originally slated to be torn down when the new one was completed but the demolition funds were diverted to making a monument of the old historic bridge instead.
sign
Rumor going around that the channel scouring that occured last summer removed soil around one of the support pillars to within 15 feet of it's bottom. I don't know how deep they were originally buried but maybe it's a good thing we still have the old one to fall back on if more bottom scouring takes place.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)