AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a barn yourself
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 3/31/2012 23:01 (#2315355 - in reply to #2314975)
Subject: Re: Building a barn yourseld

Manitoba
We built all our own barns. We built gutter connect greenhouse structures. They come as a kit so you follow the plans an it goes pretty well. We did all our concrete work first which included the base poles for the metal framework. The one thing we found is you have to have designated construction guys, unless you want it to take forever and usually that is not an option. And at least one of the construction guys needs to be able to make decisions. I had a brother supervising the construction crew (college kids he worked with). I managed the dairy as my first priority and would help with the construction when possible. You don't want to hurt the farm by not keeping up with the herd work just to get the barn built. And by having the designated building crew the work there would keep going when others were called away to do haying etc. It's a big job so be realistic about the skills you are bringing to the table. You can save a bunch but if you screw up it's your issue. Once your done you'll actually know what your doing but aren't most big jobs like that.

I would recommend wet grooving the floors rather than having them cut later such as Dave9110 shows in his pics. Way cheaper and better but practice a bit first somewhere that won't matter if it's a mess so once you get to the alleys you know what your up against. It really does a nice job though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)