AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Hoyt Clagwell, AKA repowered 22-36 McCormic Deering, is alive ;-)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 3/26/2012 19:44 (#2307354 - in reply to #2307285)
Subject: RE: The Hoyt Clagwell, AKA repowered 22-36 McCormic Deering, is alive ;-)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Jim in MN - 3/27/2012 17:23

Jon, I barely recall the 22-36. The local treshing outfit "Erickson Brothers" used a 22-36 to power their threshing machine. The 22-36 replaced a Rumley oil pull to power a 36" Woods Brothers threshing machiine. They thrashed for my Dad each fall. Rumors had it that the 22-36 did not have enough powere to power the machine. They were wrong as it had plenty of power. Jim j

Jim, thanks for sharing your story. I had to double check your name and location to be sure you were not talking about my local Erickson family threshing crew.
The Erickson family was well known for their mechanical ability and eagerness to adapt new technology.
The father of this family invented and patented the device that allows a threshing machine to "count" the bushels of grain it put into the grain wagons.
It was always a treat to visit the Erickson brothers and have them show this young kid the latest thing they invented and modified to do a job.
They had a huge scrap pile beside their shop that had parts and complete assemblys that many dated from just after 1900 up to the 60's, nothing was sold for scrap.
The brothers ran a threshing crew for many years, first powered by a Rumley Oil Pull and later I am sure , by the half dozen 15-30 and 22-36 tractors they owned. The Oil Pull made it's way to a local antique and threshing club, but McCormic tractors were not so lucky.
One brother proudly displayed his souviners from the 39 worlds fair. This same fellow once wrote to NASA during the space race, suggesting they place a large foil or paint reflector on the moon to show the world we were there. He was proud to show anyone that was interested, the return letter from NASA stating that such a reflector was beyond our capability at this time. ;-)

The Erickson Brothers farmed with 15-30 and 22-36 tractors and hauled grain with a 20's Model "T" C cab truck into the 60's.
Those fellows repaired those machines and kept them running forever, they wasted nothing.
One brother got an award from GE ?? for owning the oldest continuously running home refrigerator the company knew of.
Age finally got the Erickson Brothers and the land went to younger relatives. One of them decided to "clean up" the home place, sadly he had little regard for the history and rarity of many of those machines and assemblies, the scrap man saved and peddeled a few very rare units complete, but the majority was broken up and sold for scrap.

I remember driving up to the Erickson boys "iron hill" one Sunday afternoon after the scrap man was nearly done. Their were a few parts of the broken up 15-30 and 22-36 tractors and other machines and one little stationary steam engine. The boiler was missing, but the engine appeared complete and undamaged. It apparently laid untouched for decades under the pile of small scrap.

About all that remains of the place is the family house and one lone complete threshing machine that the young owner had the scrap man set on the highest hill behind the farm house as a tribute to the family.

The Ericksons were one of the many pioneer familys that homesteaded this area.

Our farm, which we have owned since 41, was sold to us by the widow of the original homesteader, a mister Ed Boone. Decendents of this family have become close friends and have shown us the geneology papers that prove they are the direct decendents of the original pioneer Daniel Boone. From the Carolinas to Illinois, Iowa ,then to the free homestead lands of Dakota territory which later became North / South Dakota..
We still have the original land grant deed from pres Teddy Rosavelt to Ed Boone :-)

Edited by Jon Hagen 3/26/2012 20:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)