AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

problems with no-till planter seed placement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 3/22/2012 07:47 (#2300074 - in reply to #2299537)
Subject: RE: problems with no-till planter seed placement

nextlevelagandturf - 3/21/2012 20:51

I have a customer in central GA planting corn no-till with JD1700 maxemerge planter. Planting into 5 ft tall headed out rye that has been rolled and sprayed with gramoxone last week. Has double-disk seed furrow openers w/ single coulter 20 inches ahead of furrow openers. Has disk opener in front and 2 inches to the side for side band liquid. His seed depth is inconsistent from 0 - 1.5 inches and would like to be at a consistent 2 inch depth. His fields are flat to rolling sandy loam to loam. Does anyone with experience have suggestions?

I agree with the previous posts that lack of down-pressure on the row unit may be the culprit.  I would certainly look to that first.  It may be lack of frame weight, or simply lack of transfer of weight from the toolbar onto the row unit.  I wrote a newsletter on the various 'sins' of keeping the row units in the soil at the proper depth -- might shed some light on your customer's situation.  http://www.exapta.com/news/nws_seeding_mistakes_dec2011.pdf

Rye that size would have quite a soddy root system, requiring more down-pressure to hold the opener blades at the correct depth.  Also, all the aboveground biomass acts a bit like a shock absorbing mat that takes a bit more pressure to go thru.

Also, I would move the side-band fertilizer openers farther from the seed row, so that the seed openers are running in truly undisturbed soil which makes for a more cleanly cut furrow (less sidewall crumbling, fewer voids).  Similarly, I would make sure that the fertilizer side-band openers never run deeper than the seed -- in fact, I'd prefer that they only run about an inch deep.  Again, this improves seed placement.  And, agronomically, in no-till with good mulch cover, there's no reason to place fertilizer deep.

best regards,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)