AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Dumb Farmer
Posted 9/12/2007 01:37 (#202416 - in reply to #202262)
Subject: Farming outside the Garden of Eden............

East Palestine, Ohio (Columbiana Co.)
where "real world" yeilds for corn are closer in a "normal"year to 150 bus. than 250, besides all this profit you guys always talk about, around here there is another factor called RISK! Now that everybody's sweetheart corn is crowding $300 per acre to plant, the ? I must always ask/answer to myself is what happens when the crop FAILS? It has happened here before and it's coming again, just amatter of when. How much will I risk to go after the "Golden Corn"? Well if I can lock in $4 or more, I'll bite for about 25% of my ground, less than that, I'll kick corn to the curb, go beano on beano, wheat, and hay, and hopefully come thru another year so I can roll the dice again the next year. Wheat also spreads the work load and gives a nice shot in the arm in July/ August that comes in pretty handy.
I don't know what it would take to get me to drop it all on one bet and go everything wall to wall corn....................scars get uglier as you age, and I'm none too pretty to start with........
as to the post above, let me see how cheap corn gets here when the combines start rolling, and I'll make my fearless forecast for cash '08. My gut hunch says this fall will be the cheap corn............unless the funds all bail out when ever for whatever reason, and the CRP ground starts getting released.

Personally, I truly expect to see $2 corn again..............but it's not a rare thing for me to be way,way, out there in deep left without a glove!~>>.

Good Luck!........The Dumb Farmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)