AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lonely calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

gas
Posted 3/8/2012 14:19 (#2275616)
Subject: lonely calf

missouri
Central Missouri. Calves being born. Last Saturday evening checking cows at hay feeder one looked like it had a calf. Found calf by itself about 300 yds away still wet but alive. Went to get a small bale of hay and got the herd by the calf and got it up, mother came close everything looked ok. Sunday evening same thing gave it a bag of colostrum in 2 quarts of water, used a long tube on the bottle in the stomach calf gets up and goes to mother looking for udder. Tuesday still looks like mother and calf dont have much to do with one another gave it an 8oz bag of medicated milk replacer in 2 qts of water in stomach watched calf pee and poop (yellow), and went off to back end of mother but did not suck. Now thursday morning the herd is altogether calf up, after feeding calf is by itself so I mix another bag of milk replacer calf is energetic, wants to get away, it gets milk in stomach heads out to the herd and finds another cow soon to have a calf and starts to suck on the cow. Something just dont look right. Am I being a worry wart, should I make it a bucket calf, what effect is this going to have when other cow has her calf or just watch and still give milk replacer if I can catch it. Wow didn't think this was going to be so long
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)