AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ancestor Research
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 3/3/2012 17:14 (#2265401 - in reply to #2265334)
Subject: RE: Ancestor Research

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

Sure!  http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp   Branches of the Family Search Libraries are all over the U.S.  Just go there with your spiral notebook and you can dig all you want.  Very interesting!!   Iowa had a special census in 1925 (why? I don't know) that I find really interesting.......lists each household member's birth year and parents' full names along with spouse name if married.  Each household is listed in order almost as if you were going down the road.  If you have someone who remembers back far enough, it can generate some great conversation.  Get a good voice recorder if you have older family members who are willing to talk.

There are also the USGenWeb sites, just plug in the county name you're searching and lots of forums and cemetery records available there that can help.  You may not find verifiable proof on GenWeb, but you'll get lots of leads to follow.

I am on Ancestry.com and really enjoy it.  As much time as I spend on it, the <$20/mo is well worth it, especially with fuel as high as it is now.  Computer time is cheaper than windshield time.  :~)    About 2ce a year I become somewhat addicted to it and can't leave it alone.  Then I recover and stay away from it for a few monhts.  It's great in the winter when it's crummy outside.         

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)