AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Commercial Herd Bull Shopping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

macfarm
Posted 2/29/2012 13:36 (#2259135)
Subject: Commercial Herd Bull Shopping

Ontario
Needing to purchase another bull. My question is what breed do I go with. Our herd is a mish mash of a lot of stuff, as most herds in my part of the world are. Last year I had four different pastures each with its own bull (would LOVE to be able to have bigger grazing groups but not possible as if yet).

1) Char based cows; mostly white, some tan
2) Char cross cows; almost all tan
3) Angus and Limo cross cows; blacks and reds
4) Angus and Sim cross cows; blacks and reds

For bulls last year on each pasture I had:

1) Purebred Char (has been culled)
2) Char X Red Angus F1
3) Sim X Angus, Black
4) Purebred Angus

I need to replace the Char herdsire. That pasture has the most cows (35ish), and of the bulls that I have now would be most comfortable with the SimAngus bull having to do that much work.

Just can't quite figure out what direction that I need to go. Herd has been traditionally Char, with some Limo (alought that influence is waining). But have turned toward Black Angus in the recent past. Should I just aim for smokie (grey) calves now (ie black bull white cows, and vice versa), or continue toward a more black herd, or stay with traditional tan calves.

We finish out all of our own calves, so feedlot performance is important. We also keep our own heifers, and it wouldn't hurt to get some milk in them.
Have thought about a black Sim (or a red), or another SimAngus or straight Angus, or go with another Char. Anything else I should consider if anything? Open to suggestions. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)