AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newborn with difficulty breathing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Fenceman
Posted 2/25/2012 17:18 (#2251168 - in reply to #2251060)
Subject: Re: Newborn with difficulty breathing

NE
Not saying that is what killed a 12 hour old calf but it clearly infects way before 30 days.
The attached is a direct quote from U of Kentucky paper I found quickly on crypto, I rest my case.

University of Kentucky
Cryptosporidiosis is a disease which causes scours (diarrhea) in dairy calves. Farmers need
to catch calves scouring in the early stages, treat these calves with electrolytes, and prevent further
outbreaks because diarrhea and the resulting dehydration is one of the leading causes of death among
dairy calves.
Cryptosporidiosis is caused by a protozoan (parasite) called Cryptosporidium parvum. The
C. parvum lives in an oocyst (egg) which is present in manure excreted from infected calves. It is
usually found in calves 3 days to 3 weeks old. It can be passed from animal to animal, such as calf to
calf and from animal to human. The calf comes into contact with the C. parvum eggs when it takes
in water or food which is contaminated with manure from an infected calf. When the calf eats the
egg, it goes to the calf’s intestines and buries itself in the intestinal wall, releasing the disease-causing
bug. As a result, the calf cannot properly absorb water, nutrients, and electrolytes (minerals such as
sodium, potassium, and chloride) from the feed it eats. It then begins losing weight, and if not
treated properly, or soon enough, it may die.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)