AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

getin' older
Posted 6/2/2006 09:15 (#16501 - in reply to #16406)
Subject: RE: hard to believe...

I know what you mean. I have an old 1972 Honda CL100 that has been sittin' around for years. With the price of fuel, I figured it might get it operational to check pivots and such. Seems like it ran forever on a 2 gallon tank of gas. Those old Honda motors were care free and seemed indestructible.

I had to fiberglass the bottom of the fuel tank (rusted out).

Bought some connector links to fix the chain trying to break the clutch loose (jamming gears). Ended up taking engine side cover off to get that job done anyways. New chain is ready to go on but it had to be ordered, can you believe that?

Mice destroyed the foam in the seat and the cover so I dropped that off to get repaired.

Battery will likely need replaced.

Now I am trying to get the carb working right. I can get it running but not idle right. I am sure it is in the idle jet system but haven't got it figured out yet.

It is hard to believe as simple as these old machine were and as many as there used to be, that there is almost no local source for parts supplies. They don't really even want to see the old things.

I have an Big Bear 4 wheeler(maybe 11 years old) that went to the shop for the first time this spring to get a boot put on. Had almost $1000 dollars bill by the time it got home. That was for two boots, carb cleaned, adjusted, a couple u-joints and labor. I ask them if the new machines were easier to work on since labor was so high on the old one. He said the new ones are worse. I traded an old Honda CL100 for a new one in 1972 for $275, I think I got $125 trade in value. I am getting old.

I don't think I will be saving anything in the end but it sure sounded like a good idea when I stared it. Still won't be as expensive as buying a new one........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)