AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wick building vs others (Michigan)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

fpr2006
Posted 2/15/2012 23:31 (#2231479 - in reply to #2231308)
Subject: Re: Wick building vs others (Michigan)

SW Minnesota
I have a 60x96 Wick shop, a 48x60 Morton machine shed, and just finished a 60x120 Cleary. They all have their good points. I built a Wick shop because the independent Wick contractor who sold it to me would build according to my specifications. I wanted rafters and columns on 4 foot centers sitting on a concrete stem wall. Morton just plain refused. Cleary never got back to me, so I will grant Wick that one. My two complaints about the Wick building are: 1. On a 3 foot wide piece of steel, they have one less rib than anyone else in the business. You may be getting just as much steel with anybody else, but you are getting 20% less screws. 2. I am not particularly happy right now with the contractor who put my shop up. The roof had a leak that only was noticeable in hard rains which came from the east. The leak was in one particular spot. I never could see daylight where the leak was, but finally I got up on the roof and lifted the ridge cap. On about a 10 foot section of the roof the steel only covered half of the top nailer. I called the company and they would not even mention it to their contractor. The contractor has put me off on fixing the problem for 8 months now even though he was on a new construction job just 3 miles away. To be fair, I would say in all other respects their workmanship was impeccable. The Morton building, I think, has slightly better hardware than the other companies, heavier steel, and maybe 10% higher price. I probably would have built another Morton the last time except for two reasons: 1. I needed to get the building done before the 1st of the year for the Bonus Depreciation Program. 2. Cleary appears to have the same profile steel as Menards and Extreme Panel. My hog barns and all my older buildings all have this style of steel. Last summer I purchased a shearers for this style of steel, so now I can use the shearers on the steel left over from the Cleary building. You will have steel left over if you have a building built unless it is a Morton.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)