AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bearing hot augering wheat in bin, what to do???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

xralan
Posted 6/1/2006 14:50 (#16357)
Subject: bearing hot augering wheat in bin, what to do???

Augering seed wheat in grain bin and as finished loading truck began to smell smoke. Figured it was someone burning trash. But when emtied out boot on end of auger, found out the bearing on end of shaft was getting hot enough to turn the shaft blue. Looked up at lid on bin and saw faint amout of what looked like dust comeing out. Climbed up there and it smelled like smoke. Couldn't see any particular spot smoking or anything else wrong other than the smell of smoke. This is a steel welded oil field tank. holds about 1200bu. I have 600 bu in it. Took a couple of small dry chemical firextequishers and shot them in and tried to get the powder spread all around. Then shut the lid. Lids don't seal 100%. I'm thinking it will cool off and be allright, but certainly not sure just what to do. Was going to climb in and dig around and look for a hot spot, but seemed to be a lot of dust in air and i was certaily going to make more digging around, and a hot spot and grain dust in a confined area with me inside didn't sound like a wise idea. Any suggestions on what to do now?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)