AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

am i making a mistake buying a f350 v10
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

radman1
Posted 2/8/2012 11:43 (#2213723 - in reply to #2212482)
Subject: RE: am i making a mistake buying a f350 v10

Have a 1999 F250 v10. The blown plugs were more of an issue in the early years. Later, Ford redesigned the head for a few more threads on the plug. Most happened when the plugs were changed and not torqued to specs. I have had any plug issues. Plugs go 100,000 miles. If blow a plug, the cheap fix is using a heli-coil and replace the plug. Much cheaper than new head.

The later motors went to a 3 valve cylinder. I think it was around 02 or 03 when they changed. These had more horsepower. My '99 had 275 hp and later models up to 350 hp. Noticeable difference.

I have pulled a lot of trailers. I would say 60% of time it has had a trailer on it. Still use it on our 300 bushel seed tender. Its a load and you don't go fast. MPG is around 10 with trailer and 12 without. Strong headwind with heavy load once made 6-7 mpg. If you drive really nice at 55 mph, it will make 14-15 mpg. Important to take it out of overdrive if pulling trailers with automatic. Overdrive clutch will cycle in and out. Will burn it up. Not an issue in the newer trannys.

The v10 by all accounts is a very reliable engine. Too bad Ford had to ditch it. Excluding the plug issue, one of the best gasser motors made.

I have a 2008 Ford diesel as well, but gassers are still probably the more economical solution for most people unless you do a lot of heavy pulling.

Edited by radman1 2/8/2012 11:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)