AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time killing question auto wrecks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 1/5/2012 23:50 (#2145721 - in reply to #2144428)
Subject: RE: Time killing question auto wrecks

West Union, Illinois

Let's see ... when I was 17 I was driving down a quiet country road when a pickup came around the S curve ahead.  He was coming my way so I pulled over.  I finally got off in the grass when it side swiped me.  When the driver got out he still had on the cast from his last wreck.  His insurance agent was not happy to hear from him.

Couple years later I was in college and married.  A friend came over and she and I jumped in the truck to go get the pizza for party we were having ... and I backed into her new to her car.

A couple years after that we were expecting our first child.  Grandpa convinced us to take his new never used camper and get away for a few days.  We're going down a 2 lane highway with several small bridges being replaced.  I got into one just as the stoplight tuned yellow.  Halfway through you feel a jolt forward.  I look in the mirror to see a big truck.  We go on through and pull over.  My 5 month pregnant wife and I get out to see a truck with a big placard saying RADIOACTIVE on the front of it.  An oilfield logging truck with a 6" pipe bumper had rear-ended us and drove the back of the camper forward about a foot in the shape of a 6" pipe.  We called the police and filled out all the reports.  That was interesting because the truck owner was in one state, the truck was licensed in a different state, and the driver was from a third state.

Called Gramps: "We had a little accident with the camper.  A truck ran into the back of the camper."

"Anyone hurt?"

"Nope"

Camper usable?"

"Yes"

"OK, we'll see you next week.  Have fun."

I was parked in town one day when one of my landlords backed out of his space in front of the grocery store and put a pickup bumper in the door of our car.

Not counting deer, and I think I've had 4 of those, none of which were bad enough to file a claim, I don't think I have had any other accidents myself.  But there is my daughter who has her preferred body shop.  She is such a preferred customer they send her Christmas cards.

And there's nothing like answering the phone to hear your son say "I'm allright".

Hmmm... "OK, what about the truck?"

"It's upside down in a field"

"I told you full time 4wd was worthless on ice"

Yes Dad"

"We'll be right there."

edit: I called the Sheriff's Dept: "When is an accident required?"

"You have to file a report if there were any injuries or more than $500 damage."

"Well,, nobody was hurt, and I've been trying to sell it for $500 and nobody would buy it, so I guess it couldn't do $500 damage if it were totaled."

Edited by Mike SE IL 1/5/2012 23:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)