AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dead batteries / alternator problems?idiot light??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 5/30/2006 00:21 (#15848 - in reply to #15802)
Subject: Re: dead batteries / alternator problems?idiot light??

According to my parts book the side console began with 201,000. At least the previous model ended with 200,999.

They changed the engine blocks, they changed the hydraulic remotes, and their controls (to the side console), and even in the earlier versions those with cabs and air conditioning were already 12 volt negative ground for both gas and diesel. They changed little things like deck height so that late 4020 diesel parts fit an early 4020 block but make it very hard to start because the compression is a tad low.

I gave up on the generator on my 1968 gas (sn 184,xxx) after I added an ammeter and it just slammed from peg to peg, apparantly a sympathetic resonance with the slow regulator that never charged the bettery well. For just more than the price of a regulator, I bought a 10-SI Delco with internal regulator. I do have to goose the engine to get it to start charging, then it charges the battery back up in a few minutes, not all day. Its a mod the factory did too and it sure cuts down on the battery replacement to charge them well.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)